Being a new online student OR being new to the Moodle course management system can be a fearful, stressful, and/or frustrating experience without some support. This file will attempt to give you the support you need to overcome most of the common issues.
1. How to log into Moodle:
Login ID = your student ID number (example: 88123456)
Pass = MMDD of your birthday (The 4 numbers that represent the month and day of your birth. Example: 0601)
If you don’t know your student ID number, you can log into the Student Information System (https://www.laccd.edu/student_information/sis_logon.asp) using your social security number (only if you included this on your enrollment application) and the MMDD of your date of birth.
2. How to allow pop-ups (i.e. turn OFF the pop-up blocker) so you can fully read and participate in the class. Go to this web page: http://cccconfer.org/trainingCenter/popupBlockers.aspx
3. How to set your cookies so your quizzes will work and you will get credit for your work. This is how the computer knows it is your work. Follow the directions on this web page: http://www.google.com/cookies.html
4. Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don’t already have it, then get the software for FREE from here: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html?promoid=BUIGO
5. More software you need to have on your computer includes:
- Flash Player so you can watch some of the videos. If you don’t have it, get it here (or update it to the most recent version): http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BUIGP
- Java is required for Windows operating systems only. Link to update directions: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_update.xml
- QuickTime Player so you can watch some of the other videos your teacher might use. If you don’t have it, get it here (or update to the most recent version): http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ (be careful to select the FREE version instead of the paid version)
- MS Word Viewer – only if you don’t have the full Microsoft Word or Office software installed on your computer: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4
- MS Excel Viewer – only if you don’t have the full Microsoft Excel or Office software (or you don’t have the latest 07 version): http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10
- MS PowerPoint Viewer 2007 – if you don’t have the full version of Microsoft Office on your computer or can’t view the 2007 files: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13
Personal Computer Protection
- Ad-Aware Software – FREE – run monthly to remove data mining elements that can slow down your computer.
- AVG – FREE Antivirus Software – if you don’t have an antivirus software on your computer, use AVG. Do not put two antivirus softwares on your computer at the same time or it will cause your computer to run very slow. Antivirus software protects you from viruses and every student needs to have some kind of antivirus protection.
- MalwareBytes – FREE protecting for your computer. Removes all forms of malware, including viruses, Trojans, spyware, adware and rootkits. When it comes to the safety of your computer, Malwarebytes provides the ultimate in protection from the cutting edge of technology!
Computer Skill Videos Available