AB 540 student is a student who has:
- Attended CA High School for three or more years
- Graduated from a California High School or have attained the equivalent thereof, such as a high school Equivalency Certificate issued by the California State GED Office or a Certificate of Proficiency, resulting from the California High School Proficiency Examination
- Must not hold a valid non-immigrant visa
- Must register or is currently enrolled at an accredited institution of public higher education in California
- Must file or will file an affidavit as required by individual institutions, stating that the filer will apply for legal residency as soon as possible
**Students must meet ALL of these requirements to be considered an AB 540 student**
If you meet these eligibility requirements, remember:
- Pick up and submit an affidavit from Bridges to Success Center ones you have received your student ID number via email. Students should expect to receive a student ID number via email after three business days of submitting an LATTC application – California Nonresident Tuition Exemption PDF fill-able file.
- Provide information on all schools attended in grades 9-12 and submit required documentation (high school transcript as well as high school diploma).
- Completer the online California Dream Act Application to receive financial aid benefits derived from the state of CA.
- Register for Selective Service to meet eligibility requirements.
AB 540 status allows students the benefits of:
- Paying an in state tuition of $46 per unit ( if the student completes the CA Dream Act application and are eligible, they may receive a tuition waiver through the BOG)
- To exempt a student from paying non-resident tuition the Affidavit must be completed prior to enrollment at an institution. The legal document certifies that the student is in the process of legalizing their residency status or will file for legal residency as soon as eligible.
- Students if eligible may benefit form all CA state financial aid such as BOG and Cal Grant.
DACA Scholars is a free mobile app that features scholarship opportunities for Latina/o students. You can learn more about what motivated Deyvid Morales, a fellow undocumented student, to create the app on this post. And if you haven’t downloaded this app on your phone, definitely check it out! This year, they are offering 4 scholarships to students who are pursuing a higher education.
Here are the eligibility requirements:
- Be an undocumented student (with or without DACA)
- Be currently enrolled in 12th grade – Ph.D.
- Be involved in local organizing efforts
The deadline to apply is November 14, 2016
For more information, download “DACA Scholars” on your mobile device.