LATTC network password is the key to access to the network resources including Outlook email, Wi-Fi network and other campus network services. The purpose of this guideline is to reinforce information security by establishing a strong but reasonable best password practices that follows common guidelines recommended by security professionals and aligned with District Information Technology.
Secure password guidelines
- LATTC network password account expires every 90 days. You may change your password multiple times within the 90 days.
- The password must be at least 8 characters in length
- Must contain characters from three of the following four categories:
English lower case characters (a – z)
b. English upper case characters (A – Z)
c. Base 10 digits (0 -9)
d. Non-alphabetic characters (example: ! @ # $ % ^ & * _ + = , . >)
- You can create a passphrase composed of multiple words. Because of this, a passphrase is more secure against “dictionary attacks”.
Example of a passphrase: “TrafficeOnThe405AlwaysBad”
- Do not use a password that will be easily guessed, such as a name, employee ID, addresses, phone numbers, birth date or any word in the dictionary.
- Password or passphrase must not be revealed over the phone or email to anyone.
- Do not use the “Remember Password” feature of applications (e.g. web browsers).
- LATTC passwords will be set to expire on August 09, 2017 to insure that all users update their passwords to meet our guidelines. If you do not update your password before the deadline then you will not be able to log into computers or email until you update the password on a computer that is on the LATTC campus network or contact campus IT at 213-763-7007.
- Passwords can only be changed on your computer or through Outlook Web Access (PART A). Passwords can be updated on your mobile devices (PART B) after they have been changed on your computer or through Outlook Web Access.
- If you don’t have LATTC email configured on your mobile devices, just follow instructions in PART A to change the network password.
- LATTC network password is applied to LATTC Outlook email, campus Wi-Fi and other campus services. The passwords of faculty email @faculty.laccd.edu, Web Roster, and other District applications such as SAP, DEC remain the same.
PART A – UPDATE LATTC NETWORK PASSWORD ON A COMPUTER
- If You Are on Campus and your password has expired – click here for instructions.
- If You Are on Campus and want to change your password before it expires – click here for instructions.
- If You Are off Campus and want to change your password before it expires – You can use Outlook Web Access to change your password – click here for instructions.
PART B – UPDATE LATTC NETWORK PASSWORD ON YOUR MOBILE DEVICES
If you need further assistance with changing your password, please contact the IT Help-desk at 213-763-7007 for assistance.