Many courses listed in the class schedule will indicate suggested prerequisite, co-requisite/concurrent enrollment or recommended preparation/advisory listed after the name of the course. These recommendations were made after careful consideration by the faculty of that department. The Los Angeles Community College District has adopted a policy based upon a model developed by the State Chancellor’s Task Force in conjunction with the State Academic Senate and Chief Instructional Officers and based upon Title V Article 2.5 Section 55200 and Article 4 Section 55530 of the Matriculation Regulations. In other words, your success is our primary goal.
What Do They All Mean?
Prerequisite is a condition that a student has to meet prior to enrolling in the class. Completion of the prerequisite demonstrates that you are ready and able to succeed in the course you want to take. A prerequisite is usually either another course, or a specific test score on a standardized test.
Co-requisite is a course that must be taken at the same time as the course you want to take.
Advisory or recommended preparation means that you are advised, but not required, to have taken the course(s) or met the test scores before enrolling in the class.
PLEASE CHECK YOUR CLASSES CAREFULLY: Prerequisites/Co-requisites are strictly enforced at Los Angeles Trade-Technical College!
Want to take a course with a prerequisite? You can satisfy a prerequisite several ways:
1. Take the prerequisite course at Trade-Tech or another college in the District and achieve a grade of “C” or better, so that it shows on your transcript;
2. Provide proof that you’ve successfully completed the requirement(s) at another college. You can bring official transcripts or assessment scores from another school to the Matriculation Department and they will be reviewed. Please provide the Matriculation with a copy of your proof. If your course is approved, you’ll be given a clearance to register. Please note: Prerequisite Clearance may take up to 10 business days.
3. Take a test-known as a challenge exam-to show that you have the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully prepare you for the course you want to take; Please submit challenge exam one month prior to the start of the term you plan to take the course.
4. If the course you want to take has an assessment test scores as prerequisite, you’ll need to visit the Assessment Center and complete the required test. Your score will then be given to you, and the prerequisites(s) will be cleared once you receive a copy of your placement score(s).
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact the Matriculation Department at (213) 763-75348 (JH-303) or visit the Assessment Center at 213-763-5339 (JH-303).
Matriculation fax number: (213) 763-5383
Prerequisites, co-requisites/concurrent enrollment requirements must be followed (for definitions of these terms, see below). If you do not agree with the requirement made by the faculty, you have the right to challenge. Contact the Matriculation Department for the challenge process procedures and form. Once a challenge form is submitted, the committee will review your request and documentation. You will be notified within five (5) working days of the final decision.
Challenging a Pre- or Co-requisite- If you want to challenge a prerequisite or co-requisite, i.e., you have not met the necessary prerequisite conditions but believe you should be allowed into the class anyway, you can challenge it if:
The prerequisite has not been made reasonably available;
1. The prerequisite is not valid because it is not necessary for success in the course you want to take;
2. The prerequisite is discriminatory or applied in a discriminatory manner;
3. You believe you have the knowledge or ability to succeed in the class without the prerequisite.
If you believe any of the above is true, you have the right to challenge the prerequisite or co-requisite. To obtain a Challenge Form, please visit the Matriculation Department or the Assessment Center and follow their directions.
For more information on the Challenge Process/Prerequisites please call the Matriculation Department or the Assessment Center.
Challenge Process Testing Hours (JH-303 , please arrive at least two hours before closing)
Monday/Tuesday/Thursday : 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Recommended Preparation/Advisories: Recommended preparation advisories are classes or skills you are advised to have.
Co-requisite/Concurrent Enrollment: This is a faculty requirement of a class that must be taken simultaneously with another class to maximize your success.
Prerequisites: There are classes or skills you must complete with a grade of “C” or better prior to enrolling in the class. The faculty for the discipline made these requirements because they feel it is necessary for successful completion of the course.
Conditional Enrollment: Students may conditionally enroll in a course for the next semester/term while currently enrolled in the prerequisite course. Students who do not successfully pass (with a grade of “C” or better) the prerequisite course, they will be administratively excluded/dropped from the advanced course.